Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Slave Castle Experience


I stand at the entrance to Elmina Castle, one the oldest European castles, originally built as a trading post by the Portuguese, but destined to hold human cargo and do business in the most lucrative trade of all, human beings---the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. Elmina is a small town that is swarming with tourists to see the castle that was originally called St. George of the Mines, because of the gold mines all along what the Europeans called the Cold Coast, now modern Ghana.
It is a sobering experience to venture across this portal and to be taken back in time by the continuing spiritual vibrations lingering within the walls of this and the neighboring Cape Coast Castle (together known as the Twin Castles). When Gene and I went into the dungeons and holding cells, and the walking corridors, I chanted and prayed for the tortured souls who passed this way long ago, and who became the ancestors of Africans in the Americas. I wore ceremonial white to commemorate the ancestral spirits that must be acknowledged and given homage. Elmina, more than Cape Coast, was overly commercialized with African youth swarming around the tourists, including us, selling jewelry and seashells. Upon exiting the Elmina Castle, one young enterprising Fante boy gave Gene a small conch shell, reading “To my American Father, Gene.” The youth have really learned their hustle around the slave castle tourism, connecting little emotionally to the horrifying history that looms over their town. Yet, this kind of pilgrimage is very necessary for most African Americans.

As I walked through into the Castle, I passed some Ghanaian sisters dressed in traditional cloth, and one of them called me “Obruni” (white), as she exited the castle. My light brown skin meant “white” to her, even with my braids and traditionally made Yoruba wrap and top. This is the reality of the “one drop” rule: in America one drop of black blood, means you “black,” but here in Africa, one drop of European blood, often means you are “white.” However, I challenged her, yelling back that I was black American, and that my grandmother was her color. She basically apologized, saying, “Yes, you are an American black, you are my sister.” African folk are educable about who we are as Diasporans and our connection to them. This incident was a perfect metaphor for the realities of time and space that both created and distanced the branches of the black world from each other. That this incident would take place at the entrance to one of the oldest slave castles of West African was prophetic.



Tourists in the Courtyard of Elmina Castle




Gene Standing in the Male Dungeon---African Men were piled in this room naked, waiting to be taken through The Door of No Return.



Cape Coast Castle



The Door of No Return---Yet we come back now, different---yet redeeming our Ancestors

6 comments:

Jacqueline Bui said...

Wow this is just like the movie Sankofa. I hope you're enjoying yourself! Everything looks so beautiful!

Halifu Osumare said...

Jacqueline,

Please make me know who you are. Yes, Cape Coast Castle is where the movie Sankofa was filmed. The coastline is beautiful, yet the aura of the castle is eerie. It's interesting how something that caused so much pain, can also have its beauty.

Sasa said...

Dr. Osumare!

I was in your Hip Hop in Urban America class this last quarter and reading your blog has been really fantastic.

I'm actually on my own adventure right now in Afghanistan and have a blog on the same site. I know you are a busy woman, but if you ever find yourself with nothing to do, check out www.KabulOrBust.blogspot.com

ah, the power of Nommo...

Sasa Afredi

Alonzo said...

Profesora Osumare!

How are you doing? I hope you didn't forget me, Alonzo Campos. I took your Hip Hop in Urban America class this past summer. Reading this blog about your experience thus far in Ghana(slave castle) I am lost in words. There is so much history there. Hope all is well.
Take care
go bruins!

The Evangelist said...

Hi there,

As I read your account, I remain baffled about the level of insensitivity that is openly demonstrated by our Ghanaian brothers and sisters (and their children) concerning the LEGACY OF DEATH that remains a stain upon the history of this place...

It is so shocking that they could be so cavalier and ....clueless...about the horrors that remain in the spirit of those castles.

Children being taught to play mental games with the tourists in order to make money?? Wow...

I mean...WOW...that is just so disturbing.

I loved your photos.

Thank you for sharing this account. I have read blogs of those who do not look like the Ghanaians and this experience is NOT something they seem to have any understanding of at all.

Keep writing!

Paul

DrButterFlyDrea said...

Sankofa, SANKOFA, Sankofa. AS I read this for the first time I noticed upon the ending of the passage that I slowly began to exhale...I stopped breathing at some point during the reading of the passage. We will have to discuss this again in person. I was surprised yet interestingly delighted that you did not let her comment end there.


Continue