Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Ghanaian-African American Connection


Ghana has had a long history with African America. Even though Liberia and Sierra Leone accepted ex-slaves during the 19th century repatriation movement, those experiments have had a checkered history with questionable success. Our own W.E.B. Du Bois, one of the key founders of the NAACP and author of one of the first worldwide bestsellers by a black author, "The Souls of Black Folk" (1903), came here at the end of his life and is buried in Accra. He was invited with open arms by President Kwame Nkrumah, the first president of independent Ghana, after the U.S. restored Du Bois's passport during the McCarthy Era red scare. The opening picture shows the entrance to the W.E.B. DuBois Center, which is directed by Dr. Anne Adams, former professor at Cornel University.



Inside the Centre, celebrating Du Bois's 140th Anniversary

It is also one of the first tourist sites that Gene and I visited on arriving in Ghana. We wanted to pay homage to the legacy of Dr. Du Bois. The museum contains rare photos of Du Bois and his wife Shirley in Ghana. One can see that he was treated royally and visited and honored by Nkrumah frequently. In fact the entire Centre was the Du Bois's home that Nkrumah gave them soon after their arrival. Du Bois's office has his desk and library in it with original copies of the "Souls of Black Folk," and one of his novels, "Darkwater." It was an awesome feeling to see original artifacts of this great man about whom I have studied and about whom I currently teach at UC Davis.


Exhibited Photo of Nkrumah and W.E.B. and Shirley Du Bois at a State function


Photo of Nkrumah Visiting DuBois on his 95th Birthday, the year of his passing

The highlight of our visit to the Du Bois Centre was seeing his tomb and his wife's cremation urn side my side in the mausoleum. Yes, Du Bois died and remains in Ghana.



In fact, as fate would have it, he passed away at 95 years old on the morning of the March on Washington, August 28, 1963. I said an ancestor prayer in the mausoleum and thanked him for his many contributions to our people and world culture. Belinda, the docent, took pictures of Gene and I in Ghanaian stools that line the room.


Halifu in Du Bois Mauseleum

Gene in Du Bois Mauseluem

I left feeling reverence and knew my purpose: like Du Bois, bridging Africa and African America---letting both sides understand their connections in a deeper way. Mine is through culture and the arts. Du Bois’s was through literature and political organizing. Yes, he was also one of the architects of the Pan African Congress that happened between 1919-1945. In fact, the latter world meetings was where the young Kwame Nkrumah first met “the old man.”




Nkrumah, had part of his university education in the United States Lincoln University, the first degree-granting historically black university. One can’t help but feel that his time at Lincoln gave him a particular sensitivity to the plight of African Americans. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why during the Civil Rights Movement he appeared before the UN to lobby for the political situation of African Americans being considered a world human rights issue. Like Du Bois be believed in Pan Africanism, and was one of the key African leaders during the beginning of the African Independence Movement (Ghana was the first independent country in 1957) to promote and establish the Organization of African Unity (OAU). Although history has painted him as a liberator that turned into Ghana's autocratic first President, leading to a coup against him in 1966, Nkrumah is still revered here and has a huge memorial to him in downtown Accra, with his own mausoleum, where his remains rest, which Gene and I also visited.


Gene at Nkrumah Memorial

All of these historic facts linking Nkrumah and Du Bois testify to the long-connections between Ghanaians and African Americans. This relationship set the tone for many American blacks who have moved here, established businesses, started families, and have become citizens.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evidences of African art could be found as early as 500 BC, with carved rocks in the Sahara and sculptures from Nigeria. The use of bronze, brass and other metalwork, as well as the incorporation of terracotta, ivory and other embellishments were attributed to go back as far as 10th century AD, and usually reserved for royalty.

The Evangelist said...

Hello there! {waves}

It's great to have found your blog!

The photos are fantastic!

I have been planning for more than 1 1/2 years to come to Ghana for a year and begin a small nonprofit organization that will reach out to churches in the U.S. that have not invested in overseas missions and have a desire to become committed.

I visited Ghana many, many years ago!

I have the shots done, the Visa and am all packed. The final aspect of my planning is the hardest...locating a host family in Accra, Ghana who would like to host a Christian minister from the U.S. for one to three months!

Since I am a woman and will be traveling alone, I think it would be best to stay with a host family when I first arrive.

I started a blog but it's going to serve as my online diary when I arrive in Accra!

I would love to reach out to you by email and learn all I can! (smiles)

Blessings,
"Paul"

(*Yes, a woman whose nickname is "Paul"!)

Halifu Osumare said...

Arts,

Thanks for the response. Yes, African art is ancient, like the land and the people.

Paul (the evangelist),

definitely stay in touch when you arrive in Ghana. My email is hosumare@yahoo.com.

Linda Goodrich said...

Hi Halifu,
I am still trying to get use to this blogging, but here I go again, hope this one gets through. Thank you so much for sharing all of your wonderful experiences. I love all of the pictures and it seems you are having a very rewarding time. Just know that we all miss you very much and you are in our thoughts and prayers. I know that Gene had a great time with you. You two look so happy. Nzinga is doing her research on global hip hop and she is into your book (of course). I am sure she will be contacting you in the near future. Susheel and I have had a couple of outings and I am looking forward to doing more events and just hanging out with her. I am having another grandchild November 12, so when you come home there will be another baby to bless! hope this one gets through, I have made several attempts, and if this one doesn't work, I will switch to your email account.

Love and Blessings,
Linda G.

Halifu Osumare said...

Linda,

Thanks for the comments. YOU DID GET THROUGH! Yes, the time is very rewarding. This is my West African home. And I'm getting a lot of writing done on dance (my second book), and doing some great interviews with hip-hop producers, and even may be going to Burkina Faso to the big Waga Hip-Hop Festival next week. Tell Nzinga to check out Africanhiphop.com for what's going on on this continent.

Love you & John,
Halifu

Halifu Osumare said...

Linda,

Thanks for the comments. YOU DID GET THROUGH! Yes, the time is very rewarding. This is my West African home. And I'm getting a lot of writing done on dance (my second book), and doing some great interviews with hip-hop producers, and even may be going to Burkina Faso to the big Waga Hip-Hop Festival next week. Tell Nzinga to check out Africanhiphop.com for what's going on on this continent.

Love you & John,
Halifu

DrButterFlyDrea said...

Moving photos and comments.....

Side Note :)

Maybe you can help me teach my mother's husband why Black people in America call ourselves African American. He says only Barack Obama can truly say that (geeeesh)

Many Blessings