Thursday, August 7, 2008


We are now three days before leaving for Ghana. The going away party on July 26 was fabulous with my familly and friends as far away as Los Angeles coming to celebrate with me. I shared my video from Malawi, where I worked with the national dance company and visited villages of the Yao and Chewa peoples; and Gene shared his thoughts about going to Africa for the first time, and his interests in theater there.

This photo was taken at the ending performance of the Annual Katherine Dunham Technique Seminar held at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, not to far from East St. Louis, during the week of July 27. Thank you Susheel for this photo that shows the spirit of Miss Dunham coming through Dr. Albirda Rose (center), the Director of Dunham Certification. We the Certified Teachers were taking a bow at the end of the performance, and the spirit got Albirda. She danced to the drum, and we had her back. This shows the spirit of Africa that lives in the U.S. through African Americans and those in tune with the drum. I had to go the seminar for Miss Dunham, even though I had so much to do to get out of here. Now the last minute preparations are under way.

No comments: