Saturday, July 19, 2008

Before Leaving for Ghana



Even though Gene & I look like we're going to the arctic, we are about to leave for the tropics of West Africa---Ghana, the first independent country on the continent. This photo was taken in Winter 2007 in New York at the African Burial Ground Memorial for the 17th century African bones that were discovered underground in downtown New York. This memorial is a testatement to the African presence in the early Americas. We stand in front of the Gyname symbol of the Akan people of contemporary Ghana that graces this beautiful memorial to our ancestors.

Three weeks before we leave, and before the going away party, we reflect on all that this trip will mean: for me, 32 years since I was in Ghana, and for Gene, his first time to the motherland.

7 comments:

Halifu Osumare said...

This sounds really cool! I look forward to following you in Ghana.

Afrizona said...

Halifu, I would like to sincerely thank you for all that you gave us with your lecture at the 25th Annual Dunham Technique Seminar. You gave not only knowledge, but also a bright light of relating to us in the same holistic perspective that you lecture about Ms. Dunham......

You got it going on....

Safe Passage, Barbea Williams from Tucson

Halifu Osumare said...

Barbea (sp?),

Thanks so much for your comments and evaluation of my presentation on Katherine Dunham's philosophy. I am about to post something with photos from the seminar soon. So what for it.

Brenda Waters said...

Halifu, congratulations! We will miss you. Take lots of pictures. Bring the dancers to Sacramento!

Linda Goodrich said...

Halifu, I pray that you and Gene made it safely to the motherland. I know Oya protects you wherever you go. Thank you for the pix from the Dunham Seminar, you can really see the spirit working and her presence being felt. I can't wait to join you as you travel, research and soak up the sun.I will miss you much! Congratulations and blog on!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Halifu,
Just wanted you to know that I subscribed. Perhaps I can make your blog an assignment for my DANC 350 class. Safe travels, and be well. Warmest, Tammy

Halifu Osumare said...

Linda----Thanks for all of the well wishes, and yes we are soaking all the Motherland has to offer on the positive tip---and leaving the rest as best we can. Ghana is really a relatively safe and friendly place, and I feel right at home.

Tammny---Sure you can use the blog for your class. Much of it will be about dance---so it could work. Thanks for joining.